Oh how I love sweet potatoes!
For dinner last night we had Skillet sweet potato, sausage, and spinach hash. If you like PALEO recipes this one is for you! It is one of my staple dinners, meaning I probably make it at least once a week! My husband seems to like it too so why not!? Sometime I add a fried egg to the top 🙂
All you really need for this meal is the following:
- I used 2 sweet potatoes (so there would be leftovers for lunch)
- One container of spinach (I used about 3 big handfuls)
- Sausage ( I used mild pork sausage)
- Cinnamon, paprika
- Salt and paper
- Coconut oil
- I didn’t use an onion but you definitely can (the original recipe calls for one)
Cook the sweet potatoes in coconut oil for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size. Add in seasonings.
Cook the sausage in a separate pan in coconut oil until browned. Add the spinach : The spinach will wilt down in about 2-2 minutes or so.
Add sausage and spinach mixture to the sweet potatoes and serve!
For the “24 Days of togetherness” last night we ate chocolates for dessert! I had half of a sun cup.
I know it is hard to do but my main motto is eating treats and sweets in MODERATION. This can be especially hard during the holidays. At work there are always treats sitting around! It is so tempting. I try to save my treats for things really special that I don’t get all the time: like cupcakes from gourmet shops or homemade Christmas cookies instead of a candy bar (I can eat a candy bar any time).
A few ideas for turning popular holiday foods healthier:
- Use olive oil and herbs instead of cream or cheese in veggie dishes.
- Make green bean casserole with low-fat or dairy-free sour cream;
- Replace sausage, white bread and butter in stuffing with nuts, whole grains and broth or water (if you can’t give up the sausage, opt for the turkey or chicken version).
- Choose sweet potatoes with cinnamon and spices (maybe add a drizzle of agave nectar) over scalloped white ones with butter and cream
The winner of the Chobani Greek Yogurt Giveaway is:
What a great giveaway! I love Chobani!
Alisa, please email me at email@example.com with your contact information so we can send you your free case of yogurt!
Have a good weekend!
I just found out a new cupcake shop opened near me! It’s called Gigi’s Cupcakes and I need to check it out ASAP. I think we are going to go Friday night, hopefully! They have carrot cake and salted caramel tomorrow. I can’t wait to try them! You can check out their weekly menu and go get your favorite flavor! I visited a Gigi’s cupcakes in Gatlinburg Tennessee this past summer so I am very excited that they are here in Kentucky!
After the gym yesterday I stopped at Kroger to get a few things. I ran out of fruits and veggies already! I got some other things too. Here are SOME of my Grocery Staples:
Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk, clementines humus (as you can see I stocked up because they were on sale.) My favorite is edamame humus. I also got sweet potatoes, Greek yogurt, veggies (cucumbers, carrots, acorn squash, tomatoes, avocado, etc), fruits, oatmeal, and I am going to try this new peanut butter! I had some with my lunch on a toasted whole wheat sandwich thin and it was amazing!
I love when the peanut butter melts!
This is my absolute favorite kind of humus. You need to try it!
I made a huge salad for lunch using some of my grocery staples including fresh mozzarella cheese!
I used Annies Lite dressing on the side.
What a great lunch!
My snack was a handful of granola chips and a Greek Yogurt. Speaking of Greek yogurt- I hope you had a chance to enter my free giveaway of Chobani!
Jackson laid around with me most of the day!
I love my pups!
Fun Fitness Facts for Friday:
- Bodies are creatures of habit. The more you exercise, the more your body learns to burn fat rather than storing it.
- It only takes 10 days to form a habit
- It is physiologically impossible to “turn fat into muscle” but you can lose fat and gain muscle.
- A 150-lb woman, running a 10-minute-mile pace (or 6 mph) burns about 550 calories. If she ups her incline to 5 percent, that calorie burn increases to as much as 800 calories.
- You can burn 211 calories in just 15 minutes of jump roping
- If you are not a regular exerciser, by the time you are 65 you may experience as much as an 80% decrease in your muscle strength.
- Did you know that it only takes a deficit of 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week? (that’s like 2 soda’s or 2 candy bars or 2 Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks–surely you can do without those right?!)
Have a good weekend!
I will be picking the winner of the Chobani Greek Yogurt Giveaway today! Good Luck!