Oh how I love sweet potatoes!
For dinner last night we had Skillet sweet potato, sausage, and spinach hash. If you like PALEO recipes this one is for you! It is one of my staple dinners, meaning I probably make it at least once a week! My husband seems to like it too so why not!? Sometime I add a fried egg to the top 🙂
All you really need for this meal is the following:
- I used 2 sweet potatoes (so there would be leftovers for lunch)
- One container of spinach (I used about 3 big handfuls)
- Sausage ( I used mild pork sausage)
- Cinnamon, paprika
- Salt and paper
- Coconut oil
- I didn’t use an onion but you definitely can (the original recipe calls for one)
Cook the sweet potatoes in coconut oil for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size. Add in seasonings.
Cook the sausage in a separate pan in coconut oil until browned. Add the spinach : The spinach will wilt down in about 2-2 minutes or so.
Add sausage and spinach mixture to the sweet potatoes and serve!
For the “24 Days of togetherness” last night we ate chocolates for dessert! I had half of a sun cup.
I know it is hard to do but my main motto is eating treats and sweets in MODERATION. This can be especially hard during the holidays. At work there are always treats sitting around! It is so tempting. I try to save my treats for things really special that I don’t get all the time: like cupcakes from gourmet shops or homemade Christmas cookies instead of a candy bar (I can eat a candy bar any time).
A few ideas for turning popular holiday foods healthier:
- Use olive oil and herbs instead of cream or cheese in veggie dishes.
- Make green bean casserole with low-fat or dairy-free sour cream;
- Replace sausage, white bread and butter in stuffing with nuts, whole grains and broth or water (if you can’t give up the sausage, opt for the turkey or chicken version).
- Choose sweet potatoes with cinnamon and spices (maybe add a drizzle of agave nectar) over scalloped white ones with butter and cream
The winner of the Chobani Greek Yogurt Giveaway is:
What a great giveaway! I love Chobani!
Alisa, please email me at email@example.com with your contact information so we can send you your free case of yogurt!
Have a good weekend!