A couple weeks ago I had my 3 month fit test with my old trainer at the gym I used to work out at. I was happy with my fit test but I told the trainer that I didn’t feel like I was progressing like I wanted to. I’ve only been doing crossfit now for about 4 months and I know it takes time to build up strength, but I decided I would change-up my workout routine.
The trainer said she thought I was OVERTRAINING and I agreed with her! I was doing crossfit 5-6 times per week without a whole lot of rest. I love crossfit so I didn’t want to even miss one day and I felt like I would fall behind if I missed a class. Now I know this is not how I should be working out. I felt like I was building up my stamina for running etc, but the weight I could lift was not going up. My should press has been about the same for 3 months so I was starting to get discouraged. I know lifting weights and strength takes time so I will just continue to push on, including REST days into my regimen.
“Overtraining can best be described as the state when an athlete undergoes a very stressful training regimen that he or she simply cannot recover from any longer. This usually occurs when an athlete fails to listen to his or her body and take some much-needed rest. The athlete proceeds to train and make the condition even worse.” BodyBuilding.com
My New Workout Plan will consist of the following:
- 3-4 days crossfit- depending on the week
- 1-2 days running- also depending on the week
- I would also like to try hot yoga!
- If I’m tired or feel lack of energy I am just going to take the day off!
- I am going to drink LOTS of water and get plenty of PROTEIN
- REST!- This means putting little to NO stress, pressure, anxiety, etc on your body, just rest!
Here are some other symptoms of overtraining- According to Muscleandstrength.com
- You can’t seem to get any bigger (lack of weight or muscle gain)
- You don’t have enough energy at the beginning of your workout
- Your target muscles are still sore from the previous workout when you work them again.
- You find it hard to get to sleep and have a good nights rest
- You have a general lack of energy throughout the day
- And in extreme cases you may feel depression and anxiety
I fell into about 4-5 of these! Working out too much can also take up some of your quality “free time”. It is a big commitment to go to the gym 5 days a week! Sometimes I just want to go get a manicure or lay around and watch a movie and we should be able to do this too 🙂
Also, for me, more intense exercise = bigger appetite 🙂 Of course, because our bodies need more energy to sustain the work that we just did. If I go lighter a couple of days, or just do a short run maybe I won’t feel the need to eat so much, hmmm?? Because I do LOVE eating!
Last but not least, you don’t want to get burnt out! Life is all about balance. I talk about balancing what I eat, well balancing what kind of exercise I do is also important. Working out should make you HAPPY, not add more stress.
On Sunday when I got back from vacation I went to the gym with my husband. I felt like my arms had been neglected for a while so I switched up my workout and did a few arms, and abs exercises, then ran about 2.5 miles back home 🙂 This is what I did:
I learned about the side planks lifts at BLEND retreat and boy do they burn! Try to keep the arm you are not resting on in the air!
If you like working your abs here is another challenge for you!
After writing this post I was reading some other blogs and found that Lindsay from Lindsay’s list wrote about the same thing last week. I like how she put some things into perspective so I would like to share them:
This is from Lindsay’s Blog and I can totally agree with this and I’m sure plenty of you can also. She hit the nail right on the head. She states:
1) We connect EATING with EXERCISING – two things that should be kept separate (aside from fueling purposes). We count the calories we burn while working out and connect that to our intake of food later in the day. How many times have you rationalized eating a donut just because you ran that day? What if you COULDN’T run anymore (or, as I’m trying to show in this post, you had to take a few rest days)? Would your eating habits change?
2) We COMPARE and CONTRAST. “I was going to take a rest day until I saw so-and-so’s post on Instagram.” “She’s working out harder than me!” “She doesn’t feel good but she’s “sweating out” a cold. I should do that!” <-This is a post for an entirely different day, but infuriates me nonetheless. There is no such thing as “sweating out” an illness – bobbycosh! You should be resting your CNS – trust me, you’ll heal much quicker through REST!
Thank you for this Lindsay!
Have a good Tuesday!
Do you ever fall into this trap of overtraining? If so, what have you done to correct it?
I hope everyone had a good weekend…Mine is still going strong 🙂 I don’t go back to work until Tuesday. Don’t be jealous! Okay you can be if you want.
Sunday Morning I had an amazing Oat less Wonder of a breakfast:
Oatless Cinnamon Scramble
- 1/2 banana
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- sprinkle chia seeds
Begin by chopping an apple. Saute it on the stove top with cinnamon until warm. (I used about 1/2 in the dish so you could save the other half if you want )
Mash 1/2 banana with 1 tbsp almond butter in a separate bowl. Add egg and egg white to bowl and mix until smooth. Add more cinnamon if desired.
Warm egg mixture on stove in a separate pan until eggs are cooked through.
Top with apples, peanut butter, and chia seeds.
I also had an AmAzInG workout at the gym. I worked on triceps:
1. Tricep dips — Super set with Tricep Push Ups
2. Tricep Cable Pull Down – 75lbs
3. Overhead Tricep extension – 25lb — Super set with 10 Burpees
4. Skull Crushers- 30 Pounds
5. Cable Kick Back – 15 pounds
I also did a little Ab Burner that I hope you will try!
Here is a video on the Stability Ball Tuck
I drank my protein shake after of course and picked up a few things at the grocery for this week’s meal plan:
- Spaghetti Squash (which Kroger was out of!) So I got whole wheat thin spaghetti
- sour cream
- Pizza for the boys
- Egg Whites
This grocery list does not cover all the ingredients needed for the following recipes. Please look at each recipe individually.
This Week’s Meal Plan:
Monday- Garlic Meatballs with Tomato Sauce (Adapted from this recipe)
Tuesday- Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Wednesday- Slow Cooker Bacon Ranch Chicken with Egg Noodles (PS> This is NOT healthy) Making it for the boys 🙂
Thursday- Breakfast – Fit French Toast
Friday- Pizza for Boys (I work 12 hours, so I will wing it)
Saturday- Jamie Eason’s Mini Turkey Meatloaf Muffins with Cauliflower Mash
Sunday- Skillet Sweet Potato Hash possibly? Or something fast and easy since I have my Wildtree Party this day!
Weekly Fitness Plan: (Tentative)
Monday- Gym- Biceps and Cardio (prob Elliptical)
Thursday- Haven’t decided yet- either crossfit or do my own thing
Saturday- Crossfit- Group workout
Sunday- Gym- Whatever muscle group I don’t do during the week 🙂
I made a HUGE salad and baked some chicken for the week.
So I made a salad for lunch on Sunday while I was prepping. Also some crab n spinach dip on the side 🙂 I also ate a jalapeno popper that my husband had and a cheese stick from Alec’s plate! Thanks for sharing boys.
For dinner we had Talapia with lemon pepper seasoning and fresh lemon squeezed over it. Nothing too crazy yet it was delicious Some steamed broccoli and grapefruit for me 🙂
I also had a Cinnamon Almond Butter Protein Ball — Recipe to come 🙂
After dinner we went to my brother’s house for game night.
We played some dice game that was super fun called “Pigs and Chickens” and then we played “Times Up” which is the funnest game EVER! My bro and husband acting in the 3rd round.
Since its Monday Jan 14th, I am starting the Fitmixer Bootcamp !!
We do weigh in’s every Monday, get sent a weekly nutrition plan from a Registered Dietitian, and have new workouts ready for us every day (that you can do at home). You may see me using some new Fitmixer products that I am excited to try and I may be blogging about my experience with the bootcamp also! Stay tuned…
I’ll leave you with this: She puts a smile on my face 🙂 (Even though she looks sad here)
And finally the WINNER of the Chobani Greek Yogurt Giveaway is: drumroll please……
Submitted on 2013/01/13 at 2:48 pm
Apple Cinnamon sounds great!
Tricia please email me at Fitcupcaker@gmail.com with your contact information so Chobani can send you a free case of yogurt!
Do you prep any meals on Sunday for the week?
Whats your favorite ab burner?
Whats your favorite board game?