I love adding protein into my meals and snacks. As much as I work out at crossfit, I need to replenish my muscles. I try to get 120-130 grams of protein per day.
That may sound like a lot but it is very easy to accomplish. Why spend all the time in the gym if you are not going to eat the right foods to support the changes you are trying to make! Protein can actually help control your appetite, maintain lean muscle mass, and burn body fat!
Other sources of protein (that I like) are:
- Lean Meat- Chicken, Laura’s Lean ground beef, turkey
- Low fat cottage cheese
- Mini Babybell Cheese
- String Cheese
- Nut Butters
- Greek Yogurt
I like the way Annette talks about body fat and dietary protein. She puts it plain and simple: “You see, protein is a macro nutrient that is vital not only for those of us wanting to shed body fat, but also for any muscle we do gain (you want this if you want to look fit and strong), so we can maintain that in the long term!”
GOT IT!?!? Good!
So with that in mind, Here is another protein ball recipe that can be eaten as a pre or post workout. I like to take them to the gym with me along with my protein shake if I won’t be eating for a while. They hold me over quite nicely.
Peanut Butter Protein Balls
These are adapted from my Power Ball Recipe
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/4 cup chopped cocoa almonds
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 drops liquid stevia
Mix All ingredients together in a bowl. Roll into balls and refrigerate!
Makes 14 balls. Each one has 6 grams of protein! If you eat two after your workout you just got 12 grams of protein in to refuel those muscles!
Enjoy! They won’t last long 🙂
Where do you get most of your protein?
Helloooo and Happy Monday to you!
I hope you all had a great weekend! I know I had a busy but exhausting and relaxing one at the same time 🙂 By exhausting I mean, prowler pushes on Saturday and Snatch work on Sunday! Relaxing = time spent with family.
First I wanted to share that I will be joining a twitter chat on Wednesday at 8pm to talk about blogging tips and tricks. This is hosted Lindsay at the leangreenbeanblog and some other bloggers that I follow and love. I hope you will join in!
PS. Are you following me on Twitter?
On to the food… I did my weekly shopping at Kremers Market, where I only got a few things, and then I got my major produce from Kroger. Produce at Kremer’s is like double the price!
I managed to pick up some important things. Here are some of them:
- Blueberries (finally on sale)
- Turkey bacon- on sale. Yes, I do eat regular bacon too 🙂
- Fresh Cod
- Almond Milk -vanilla unsweetened. I like the Blue Diamond Brand the Best
- 2% Milk for the boys. They hate anything else!!
- For Salads etc- Grape tomatoes, avocado, cucumber
I am trying to follow Paleo, at least some of the time, so I did some prepping based off of a diet plan I printed off. These paleo plans are SO strict! I only made a few things this weekend because it was so nice outside! It’s hard to stay in when its 70! Well anyways, I made:
Veggie Egg Muffins
- First cut up your veggies. I used peppers, spinach, and broccoli. I love these mini peppers!
- Mix your eggs, Almond Milk, and salt and pepper together in a separate bowl. I used 5 eggs and 1 cup of egg whites
- Spray your muffin tin and add in the veggies.
- Pour egg over top
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set
- Top with a sprinkle of cheese
Save and reheat for breakfast on the go!
Hard Boiled Eggs
Peanut Butter Protein Balls (adapted from my power balls) (no, not paleo, but I still eat oats) Recipe to come 🙂
Monday- Grilled Cod and Veggies
Tuesday- Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry
Wednesday- BLT Chicken Cobb Salads
Thursday- Semi California Chicken Quesadillas
Friday- Wing it (work 12 hours)
What does your meal plan look like this week?
Do you drink Almond Milk?